Monday, March 26, 2012

Saying yes is hard to do


Last Monday I commented on how Joseph got his life turned upside down by Mary’s announcement of an unexpected pregnancy.  Now today, we go to the actual event itself.  Again, Mary wasn’t planning on this happening to her, either.   She had to do some quick discerning, though.   She even had the audacity to question the angel.  But would anyone really turn down an angel that appears to them? 

We can be grateful that for most of us who have felt a call to religious life, we are given time, we don’t have to say an immediate ‘YES’!   For me, it was more of an immediate ‘NO’!  Imagine telling God, ‘NO’.  But, that is what I did.  I suppose we will have a good laugh together when we meet in eternity.  Although, sometimes I think I hear God laughing even now….  I’m not the first person to tell God ‘no’.  We have several examples from scripture.    Moses is one of my favorites; he kept saying, “send someone else”, when God spoke to him in the burning bush. 

Convent life wasn’t in my plans.  It’s a good thing God is patient.  It took a year of wrestling back and forth with the idea of being a sister before I finally gave in and hunted up a spiritual director to help me.   God has a way of wearing you down even if you aren’t open originally to his plan.

The question has certainly been asked over the centuries - what would have happened had Mary said, ‘No’?   I wonder if God had a plan B just in case.   Imagine if we had the kind of relationship with God where we could say ‘yes’ pretty much instantly every time we were given insight into what God is asking of us, no matter how difficult or confusing it might seem to us. 

Hmmm….maybe I should consider if there is anything I’m saying ‘no’ to God about right now.   He’s going to win in the end anyway!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment