Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Wedding day of a nun

  
This past weekend was a time for celebration in our community as Sr. Nancy Rose Gucwa made Final Profession at Eucharist on Saturday.  (I was especially happy to see one of my first 'vocations', after becoming vocation director, make it to the big day!)  It is the closest thing we nuns get to a wedding day.   And just as brides 'glow', so was Sr. Nancy Rose glowing as seen in the picture to the right.  The light happened to be streaming through the windows at just the right time...or maybe it really is her natural glow!

Final Profession is THE commitment...no more messing around with temporary vows.   It's time to stop sitting on the fence...are you in or are you out?  We all hark back to our own Final Profession day whenever we celebrate someone else.   I remember it being one of the happiest days of my life.  I was rather chicken to make the commitment, however.  It took me six years in temporary vows to decide that 'yes, this will be forever.'  (Temporary vows can be anywhere from 3 - 6 years long.)   I suppose I suffered from wanting to keep my options open AND a fear of commitment.   But God gave me the grace at the right time.



When we make Final Profession we get THE RING.   People often ask if they notice it, "What does the IHS stand for?"  It's a Greek shortcut for the name of Jesus.  It is NOT as some may joke, "I have suffered."  (although there is suffering involved in lasting long enough to get the privilege of wearing one! :)






The ceremony is rich in symbolism.   The sister prostrates herself before the altar and the whole assembly prays Psalm 51 over her.   Psalm 51 asks God to create a pure heart and steadfast spirit, the monastic ideal.   The thing I remember about prostrating there is feeling an energy pass through me during the recitation.  I can only assume it was the Holy Spirit!






 Another part of the ceremony involves the singing of the Suscipe.  This can often be the scariest part of the ceremony for those women who don't sing confidently.   Nancy Rose did just fine.

Receive me Lord,
according to your promise
and I shall live;
and disappoint me not in my hope.
(Ps 119:116)



In today's hook-up culture it is easy to be cynical about 'forever.'  With over 50% of marriages failing, we can easily get cynical and say - "Nothing is forever."  But in this northwest corner of Missouri we celebrate the fact that yes, there are people who really do mean it when they say " forever"!






1 comment:

  1. I can say the same about "postulants" that have been with a community for 5 years or so and then drop out for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete