Friday, December 7, 2012

Advent is not about the shopping days left


I love the season of Advent.   I have come to appreciate and understand it more since I entered the monastery 19 years ago.   Before that, I was aware the month before Christmas was called Advent but I really didn’t pay much attention to it.  There was some thing called a Jesse Tree in church (a dead tree branch with what I couldn’t tell - hanging on it)...maybe an Advent wreath...but  Advent was more about the shopping days left until Christmas instead of anticipating the Messiah.  Plus you could watch a 24 hour marathon of “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “The Christmas Story” on TNT on what is now known as Black Friday.  

That all changed after I became a postulant.  The first adjustment I had to get used to is NO decorating for Christmas before Dec. 17th.  That was the monastic way of trying to keep Advent as Advent.  I was used to a world of 24 hour Christmas music; putting up the tree shortly after Thanksgiving (so you could enjoy it longer - somehow it doesn’t occur to people to keep the tree up longer AFTER Christmas for that same reason); hanging lights all over the house; shopping for presents...it seemed a little scrooge-like to not anticipate Christmas like the secular world I was used to.  So,  over the years I would put up little things in the privacy of my bedroom where no one would see.  I would have my little nativity set on the top of my bookshelf by Dec. 6th.   Sometimes I would even turn on the lights in my window before the specified day to which novices (whom I should have been setting a better example for)...would shake their heads.  

It was when I began to experience Advent as a liturgical season that I grew to love it for its own sake.  I fell in love with the daily readings at Mass, especially the ones from Isaiah which are so prevalent and speak of deserts blooming and the blind seeing and the lame leaping. 

As a postulant I discovered a book that I have since gone back to many times called “The Reed of God” by Caryll Houselander.  She describes Advent as “the season of the secret - the secret of the growth of Christ - of Divine Love growing in silence...if we truly have given our humanity to be changed into Christ, (that’s what I thought I was doing by entering a monastery) it is essential to us that we do not disturb this time of growth.  It is a time of darkness, of faith.  We shall not see Christ’s radiance in our lives, yet; it is still hidden in our darkness.  Nevertheless, we must believe that He is growing in our lives and believe it so firmly that we cannot help relating everything, literally everything, to this incredible reality...”

“...We are too impatient, a seed contains all the life and loveliness of the flower but it contains it in a little hard black pip of a thing which even the glorious sun will not enliven unless it is buried under the earth.  There must be a period of gestation before anything can flower.”

I know in my own life I want to go straight to flowering.  Skip the gestation or keep it short!  Advent reminds me every year that is not how the Holy Spirit works. 

Rosa knocks on the chapel door during
the ritual for entering postulants
We had the happy event of having Rosa Cruz enter the postulancy on December 2nd, the first Sunday of Advent.  A fitting time to begin religious life, I think.  Advent marks the beginning of the new Church Year and the postulancy a beginning in monastic life.  Both events are filled with expectancy, eagerness, and the joyful hope that God's promises to us will be fulfilled.

And by the way...I am getting much better about waiting until Dec. 17th to decorate for Christmas, even in the privacy of my own bedroom, over the past 19 years!




No comments:

Post a Comment